9.07.2008

Dr. Pirate Time Machine reviews Of Montreal's "Skeletal Lamping" 9/10

Ok. First of all, this album is probably not something you'll like. Cause I'm just going to say it. This thing is a little gay. There's a song that the chorus is, and I'm not joking, "We can do it softcore but I take it both ways." There are songs written from the perspective of prostitutes. And at one point, Kevin Barnes says "I'm just a black she-male, and i dont know what you people are all about."

Not something you normally sing along to.

But the weirdest thing (for me, at least) is that I don't care. I've never considered myself homophobic (but who does, really?) more like homo-i-dont-give-a-shit-about-you. Or something more eloquent.

And this album (which is due in October) has not awakened a new side of me. I am not wearing mascara right now. I bet the main guy of Of Montreal is though. Cause he's a weird dude. But also married. I can't quite figure that one out. He's very Bowie-esque I guess.

I love this album. I love this band. I love the sound, I love the profane-ness. I love the fact that every minute it completely changes. I'm left wanting more of a song but its long gone. This happens constantly.

If pressed, I'd say that Of Montreal is the Beatles taking ecstasy while listening to Marvin Gaye and the Cure, with a poster of Bowie in the background.

Maybe you should just listen to a song. "ID engager" is from the new album. It uses the phrase "phallocentric tyranny" and has a great chorus- "I can't help it if its true, don't want to be your man, just want to play with you". There's always some great lyrics... another favorite from the new one is "...a freaky permutation, something like Voltron". There was a Robocop line in the last one.

I can tell you I think its a bunch of beautiful music and seriously messed up lyrics rolled up into one. If you can handle the oozing sexuality of it (and for some weird reason I can) then I think you will see what I mean.

If you want to play it safe, but are intrigued, check out their previous effort, "Hissing Fauna You Are The Destroyer". It's less sex-filled- but perhaps even better. Look for "Bunny ain't no kind of rider". The problem with it is that I have completely and utterly worn it out.

No comments: