3.09.2008

TV Review: The Wire Seasons 1-5 10/10

I just finished watching the end of The Wire. I got a little weepy, mainly because it's really over. But I'm not upset on how it ended- oh no. They ended it perfectly. In fact if there's anything I can say about the The Wire, it's that it is perfect. I have enjoyed this show more than anything else. When I watched season 3 on HBO, and then went back and devoured 1 and 2, I realized that the rest of television- as a whole- is nothing. I love The Shield. But The Shield is a dumb cartoon compared to the wire. I love Lost- pure melodrama. I've never been to Baltimore, but I feel like I know it. I've never had any desire to have any part of law enforcement, but I respect it more watching this show.

I can't convince you to watch The Wire. I can tell you this- all told its approximately 60 hours long. And it isn't always easy watching. There's a lot of characters and situations to keep up with. But when its done, you'll be satisfied. You don't get all the answers at the end- there's no giant mystery to solve that isn't well wrapped up ahead of time- but you will know the kind of excellence that I wish all of the media we digest contained. It is a beautiful, wonderful thing in a sea of mediocrity, and for that alone, I'll never forget this show.


So, yeah. I liked it.

10/10

No comments: