3.19.2008

The Betrayal

Tonight after watching UAB win a close one, I went out to the Battle Van and tried to crank it to go home. The cylinder would not turn. this isn't too surprising, I've been having to sweet talk it in order to get the key to turn. Tonight, however, my sweet nothings nor my brute physical force could persuade it. I, a 33 year old man, had to call my dad to bring me the backup key. It worked like a charm- apparently after 18 years of use GMC keys stop functioning. Good to know. I'll be copying the good key tomorrow- but this little misadventure has reminded me that this van's time is coming. No air conditioning and odd squeaks are all harbingers of its doom. 

As I waited on dad tonight I was already planning going car shopping this weekend. That might be delayed, but it's going to happen. And whatever I buy will definately get more than 14 miles to the gallon. This cursed van leaves a Carbon Trench in its wake. And even though my environmental sentiments are the equivalent of a small oil company's, I am looking seriously at any vehicle that I am comfortable in and gets over 30 mpg. I am done with this nonsense.

Superiority moment: I am currently typing this blog entry on a widget on the dashboard of my mac. this dashboard also displays the lyrics to "Cato as a pun" by Of Montreal, statistics about my itunes, a calendar, dictionary, weather forecast, information about computer (cpu temps, ram available, hd space), a clock, my gmail inbox, a post it note thing with a serial number i saved in it, and a calculator. Why didn't I buy a mac 5 years ago?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

14 mpg, no air conditioning, faulty keys.. all wrapped in vehicle that has its own ladder? Maybe you should have postponed the mac purchase instead of postponing your car shopping this weekend.

Anonymous said...

is it possible that UAB could have made that game any more uncomfortable to watch? VCU went like 8-9 from the three point line in the final 1:51. Crazy.

ditchell said...

point taken, anonymous. point taken.


dub: yeah no lie. it was less fun than anticipated.