9.10.2007

Review: The IT Crowd 7/10




I had the opportunity to sit down with The IT Crowd. I watched the first season (6 episodes) and half of the second season over the weekend. It is not The Office, nor does it pretend to be. It's much sillier, and obviously, to a certain extent, a child of it. The show centers around two nerds who work for a giant corporation, and their wacky adventures. Oh there's a cute girl now in the department who knows nothing about computers? Hijinks ensue. Had that been the whole show, I doubt I would have finished the second episode. Fortunately, the show has a nice self-aware feeling to it, and deftly avoids the typical dumb humor that roams free here on American sitcoms. My favorite moments of the show so far include the introduction of the night shift worker and the season two premiere where the guys get suckered into going to a gay musical. The musical is called Gay! The gay musical!

Perhaps the funniest minute in the show is currently making the rounds- it's this anti piracy commercial that opens the 3rd episode of the 2nd season. If you can watch this clip and not laugh your ass off, you should probably skip over this one.

I'll rate The IT Crowd 7/10, and with the 2nd season being so much stronger than the first, they could work their way into an 8. I do not know if you can see the IT Crowd in the US yet, but I do know that if you know the right dark alleys of internetdom, they wait.

No comments: