9.09.2007

lost season

So.

I watched Auburn lose to South Florida tonight. It is almost alarming how quickly the entire tenor of the fall is precariously balanced on Auburn's record. It is, as if a new feeling, now apparent to me that there is more to life than football. One need not comprehend what it's like to actually legitmately care what a bunch of kids wearing a uniform do. I don't need you to understand. That's actually good, because speaking as a rational adult (whom I certainly attempt to be from time to time) there is no excuse.



But as someone who spends his falls yelling at televisions in the vain hope that it will all work out for the best, I wouldn't have it any other way. It is a ritual to me. Like church used to be.

Auburn will most likely go on to have a decent year. But last night, that vain hope of an undefeated season proving all the critics wrong was dashed. Until you lose, you have every right to think you're the best. But one loss (to a Conference USA team no less) and suddenly you look just like everyone else. I had hoped the first week's close win was not indicitive of the season. But after tonight, it is obvious that it was.

Despite all this boo-hooing and sadness, in every college (and most likely pro) football fan a well of hope springs up. As I exited the bar last night, drunk and mad, a part of my brain did what it has done since I was aware of football- the thought crept up and wiggled its way into my conscious like it always does-

"Next year...next year we're going to be good"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping this was about your excitement for this season of Lost. But, I can sulk, too.

Clan Hill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clan Hill said...

I was hoping to talk some "LOST" too. ..oh well.

ditchell said...

Hey this is a highbrow blog. and i didn't make that connection until "anonymous" mentioned it...

Katy C. said...

Poor you.