4.10.2008

It's my duty to please that jury Day 1

So I had jury duty. Day 1. Wake up earlier than normal. Freak out because I can't find my summons (later, they appeared underneath my computer desk). I get there at 7:45, but I don't actually have to be there til 8:30. The room is cavernous, and comfortable. I choose a seat behind a giant column. My jury duty girlfriend #1 sits next to me. Her name is Amanda. She is 50, but surprisingly attractive. Tiny and secure in herself. She reads with interest a copy of Scuba World magazine, I re-read 1984. It's the copy I bought in high school, full of highlights, underlines. I talk to Amanda after she falls asleep on my shoulder.

Plenty of waiting. We are released for lunch. I go to Lynn Park to read Orwell. I see one of our reporters, who can't figure out why I come all the way downtown to read in the Park. Back in the jury room, I notice The Most Beautiful Girl In The Whole Wide Room. She is sitting a row in front of me, 5 seats over. Now let's be clear- the selection of attractive women on jury duty at any given time is attrocious. So her title, as bestowed in Upper Case, is specious at best. But in between my Orwellian reveries, I'm interested in her, from a purely Puritanical perspective. My mind never quits. I wish to God it did sometimes, but it doesn't. When I am stuck in a room, with nothing but time on my hands, and you are an attractive medical technicitian sitting on the row in front of me, then I might concoct your life story. I won't share it, but I will say that I wasn't far off. Anyways, Amanda gets called to a trial, but me and Mystery Girl are still there. Eventually we both get called. When you are in a trial, they seat you alphabetically. As I almost expected, I end up sitting next to her. The first thing I learn (because I'm a boy and we notice these things) is that she is happily married. And that was fine. She was merely a diversion- something to pass the time. Because listening to 48 people answer questions about various possible biases is fucking BORING. Figuring out what makes The Most Beautiful Girl in The Whole Wide Courtroom tick- now that is interesting. And since it is bad form to read a book whilst being questioned I had nothing better to do.

So what did I learn on day one?

She's attractive. No doubt about it. Probably 26 or so. From a small town outside of Birmingham. Scared shitless about being in court. Her entire little suburban world was totally upset by this week of inconvienience. She and her husband carpool to work. They only have 1 car. They are childless, and staunch Christians.

5:30 rolls around and I am released.
(note: I never said this was interesting, just long.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you end up on a jury let me know. My building is only a block and way and you can eat with "the lunch group" if you want.

this thing won't let me post using my gmail blogger name so this is annan.