4.22.2008

down from the ledge

So I went and drove a BMW 330i at lunch today. Let me explain this is very clear terms- it is the finest automobile I've driven. It screams. It purrs. It is everything that the reviews said it was.

And I'm not buying it.

Because after work, I drove a Scion xB. It has no pickup, no feel for the road, and looks like a minature version of the van I'm currently driving. But what it does have, is a 13K price tag. The BMW clocked in at 23.5K.

Logic hit me about an hour ago. I'm test driving the xB with a saleslady, who's wants me to buy it AT THAT VERY MOMENT. Despite her yipping, I notice that I liked it more than I thought I would. I have always liked the looks of them- but the inside is just as nice. Big and roomy, moreso than you think, and thoughtfully put together. It's different- but not TOO different. It's still a Toyota under that boxy shape.

My next task is securing credit and then I'll begin looking in earnest. But the concept of getting a car that I can pay off in 2 or 3 years is very appealing to me. And despite- and I swear to you I am not being my usual hyperbolic self- the fact that the BMW is fucking awesome, I can be happy in the Scion.

This could all change tomorrow. But today, I think I'm making sense.

Dammit.


edit: it did all change. but i'm trying to stay reasonable. maybe.

No comments: