5.02.2008

nola stage 3

so i'm in New Orleans for a wedding. First, let me say that these people know how to throw a wedding. I'm hopelessly, sloppy liquor drunk right now and stuffed full of exotic foods they just bring to your table. its no wonder everyone down here weighs 400 pounds. i had more jambalaya and gumbo than you ate last year- unless you really like those two foods. and shrimp. just shrimp everywhere. a shrimplosion.

i did some drive-bys of the streets I visited 4 months after Katrina (and then 1 year later). While there's still those head-scratching instances of "will they ever clean that shit up?" there's definately...progress. It doesn't feel quite as bad as it did my last visits- and shit, it's been almost 3 years so it shouldn't. But driving in, you still see houses where the owner said "screw it".

Of course, truth be told, I would have never lived in this god forsaken place. It's not that I hate it, but its just off. It smells funny. It's dirty. And the people are strange. They pride themselves on being the "European City of America." I call BS. I drive down the Causeway and I see
AMERICA. I see Center Point. I see suburban LA. It's all the same. Strip malls starbucks walmarts home depots mcdonalds. Don't kid yourselves, New Orleans. Sure the French Quarter is very European, but nobody actually goes down there who lives here. It's kind of like Vulcan. Do you ever go to Vulcan? Hell no you don't.

I'm trying to decide if I'm driving back tomorrow. There's jazz fest going on, but I'm not sure I want to get in the middle of it. I swore off festivals unless Led Zeppelin and the zombie Beatles are playing.

Before I leave, I'll drive through the 9th ward again. I did that as I left last year- and it was absolutely stunning. Over here in Metarie, there was some bad stuff- but the 9th ward was what you saw on the news. And last year- 1.5 years after it hit- it was one of the most striking things I've ever seen. I'm curious what it looks like now.

My father loaned me his car to drive down here. I resisted at first but the idea of delicious AC was too tempting. And driving down here (in 5.5 hours through rush hour- go ahead and try to beat that) was glorious. His car not only keeps you comfortable, when it hits a bump you don't go flying out of your seat. Also you don't have to hit the radio to make the front speakers work. I did miss that part. The point being- I need some wheels. I have the cash, now its just a matter of finding something. And I think at last count I had "settled" on about 15 different cars before researching my way out of wanting them. I'm sure you can draw some overarching conclusion about my entire personality when I admit that I have a tough time settling on things. Go ahead, I'll wait for you....

Anyways, I need a car. I remember when a friend of mine got a perfectly average little car. I snorted and said something about how PLAIN it was. I regret that. Because the more I look for a car with "personality" the more I realize that those cars aren't that reliable or have some problem or something.

ugh.

long blog. thank god for free hotel internet.

oh sweet GTA, I'm coming home soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you've already f'd yourself over by overthinking the car thing. Now - no matter what you buy - you're going to be second guessing the decision(see "buyer's remorse") every five minutes. Until you stop thinking incessently about it, I would stay away. Once you get to the point where you just don't care anymore - that's when you go buy the car.